Huncoat Garden Village has the potential to make a critical contribution towards meeting housing and employment needs and supporting economic growth in the wider Pennine Lancashire region. The Masterplan for Huncoat Garden Village, being developed by Arcadis, will help to guide future growth and development.
Implementation of the masterplan may have a transformative impact, through the creation of a desirable place to live, thus drawing in new residents; strengthening sense of place through design and the introduction of new facilities and services; helping to rebalance the housing market by providing greater choice and creating a more sustainable settlement.
Huncoat Garden Village – The Vision
Developing a vision is key to deliver transformational change to Huncoat. A vision, when supported by the community, will allow the future of Huncoat to be imagined and will become an aspirational benchmark for future growth. The vision will develop over time – please let us know your thoughts so we can shape a future for Huncoat.
WHAT COULD HUNCOAT BE RECOGNISED FOR…
REGIONAL AND LOCAL IMPORTANCE
- The aspirations and goals of the masterplan framework should be felt beyond Huncoat and lead the way within the key growth corridor.
- A driving force for growth in the sub-regional context.
- Connection to adjacent sites and the strategic road network, bringing benefits beyond the redline boundary.
- Connectivity throughout the masterplan through a dynamic and varied typology of green space.
- Good technological digital connections
- Integrated, forward looking and accessible transport options.
- Connect with the wider Lancashire landscape
- Sustainable and integrated transport options.
PLACE MAKING & LOCAL DISTINCTIVENESS
- Creation of a place and destination where people choose to live with its own unique character and identity building on the Garden Village ethos.
- Integration of the existing village with the development proposals.
- Identifiable heart with seamless transition between the old and new through a well-connected and designed green spaces.
- Created a dynamic hierarchy of streets and street scenes.
- Maximising the contribution of heritage assets to the creation of value and local identity, including those beyond the site boundary.
A COMMUNITY & LEISURE DESTINATION
- Huncoat for Life – Huncoat House and Hills
- Integration of a local centre and community hub that is central to the existing village and new communities.
- Promote health and wellbeing.
- Promote community cohesion and connectivity.
QUALITY HOMES - THE HUNCOAT HOUSE
- A variety of high quality residential provision and new residential uses which creates a strong long term residential community.
- Commercially viable residential development which will sustain and drive value in the long term.
- Forward thinking and outward looking, but practical, achievable and aspirational.
- A mix of typologies and character areas creating different zones of identity knitted together through green infrastructure.
- To provide greater choice, quality and diversity of housing across all tenures to meet the needs of residents.
- Create generous, accessible, and good quality green and blue infrastructure.
- Creating the opportunity for new jobs, responding to and retaining complementary existing businesses.
- Put environmental integration and sustainability at the heart of the place.
- Maximise low carbon opportunities to reduce carbon emissions.
- Protect and enhance biodiversity.
- Increase energy efficiency and require the use of renewable energy sources.
- Protect and improve air quality.
- Promote the sustainable use of natural resources and an efficient use of land.
Understanding the Baseline
Baseline analysis of the masterplan site has been undertaken to inform the masterplan options. It will also identify which areas of Huncoat are suitable for diﬀerent types of development (for example housing and employment) and highlight infrastructure improvements that may be necessary (for example improvements to the road network, provision of school places, health care facilities or open space).
- SITE ANALYSIS: Analysis of the existing site conditions has been undertaken to inform the masterplan options.
- THE CONSTRAINTS: Any challenging features within the site have been identiﬁed.
- AN OPPORTUNITY: Key landscape and infrastructure features to be protected and enhanced.
- THE LAND: Identiﬁcation of areas for housing and employment.
- INFRASTRUCTURE REQUIREMENTS: Improvements to the road network, provision of school places, health care facilities and open space.
Click on the images below to see baseline information relating to site features and constraints, the movement network and community facilities.
There are themes which run through all development options including: the scale of growth; housing and employment provisions; and the infrastructure requirements for a new development which address the needs of both the existing and new residents. Click on the images below to see more about these principles.
1 Scale of Growth
At this early stage in the process, it is important to understand the capacity of the site from a density, transport and infrastructure perspective
2 Housing / Employment
The strategic sites detailed within Hyndburn’s Core Strategy, 2012 make up a key element of the residential and employment quantum.
Huncoat Garden Village has the potential to make a critical contribution towards meeting housing and employment needs and supporting economic growth in the wider Pennine Lancashire region. The Masterplan for Huncoat Garden Village, being developed by Arcadis, will help to guide future growth and development. Implementation of the masterplan may have a transformative impact, through the creation of a desirable place to live, thus drawing in new residents; strengthening sense of place through design and the introduction of new facilities and services; helping to rebalance the housing market by providing greater choice and creating a more sustainable settlement.
THREE GROWTH OPTIONS for Huncoat have been developed and are shown below. The FINAL PREFERRED OPTION maybe an amalgamation of elements from diﬀerent options, or NEW IDEAS arising from the consultation process. These options have been put together to GENERATE DISCUSSION about the future for Huncoat.
You can complete a feedback form relating to the information shown on this website by following the link here.